LED ZEPPELIN – Houses Of The Holy [Deluxe Edition remastered] (2014)
The second wave of reissues in LED ZEPPELIN‘s overhaul of their classic catalog pretty much follows the path set by the first: remastered versions of the original albums on one disc, and alternate takes and mixes on the other.
The chart-topping “Houses Of The Holy” has been remastered resulting a very warm, vinyl-like sounding CD.
This remastered reissue is a testament to the album original glistening production by Jimmy Page, who doesn’t get enough credit for his meticulous behind-the-boards work on those Led Zeppelin albums.
On the extra CD (featuring a newly created negative artwork) we get quite interesting versions, including a more keyboard rich mixes of “The Crunge” and “No Quarter”, the latter warmer than the original.
Also the ‘Working Mix’ of “The Ocean” sounds slightly more thunderous and rocking.
These Led Zeppelin remastered Deluxe Editions shines in its pristine clarity.
A must have in any collection.
CD 1: Original Album Remastered 2014
1. The Song Remains The Same
2. The Rain Song
3. Over The Hills And Far Away
4. The Crunge
5. Dancing Days
6. D’Yer Mak’Er
7. No Quarter
8. The Ocean
CD 2: Previously Unreleased Studio material
1. The Song Remains The Same (Guitar Overdub Reference Mix)
2. The Rain Song (Mix Minus Piano)
3. Over The Hills And Far Away (Guitar Mix Backing Track)
4. The Crunge (Rough Mix – Keys Up)
5. Dancing Days (Rough Mix With Vocal)
6. No Quarter (Rough Mix With Jpj Keyboard Overdubs – No Vocal)
7. The Ocean (Working Mix)
John Bonham – drums
John Paul Jones – bass, keyboards, mellotron, guitar
Jimmy Page – guitars, mandolin
Robert Plant – lead and backing vocals